The page below has been permenently FROZEN as of January 2000.
Due to resource limitations,
this section of our website is no longer maintained,
so some links may not work and some information may be out of date.
We have retained this page for archive reference only,
and we cannot vouch for its accuracy.
Broken links will not be repaired,
and minor errors will not be corrected.
You are responsible for independently verifying any information you may find here.
Area 51 Reference List: 1996
Below are articles and TV broadcasts that have mentioned "Groom Lake" or
"Area 51." Please inform firstname.lastname@example.org of any articles or
broadcasts missing from this list. Also please inform us of any errors
or unresolved references.
Electronic Text Wanted! If you have any of the missing articles
in electronic form, please pass the text on to us at the above address
so we can post it here.
Note on Accessing Las Vegas Sun: Since Sun articles
are available for free on their
server*, we try to link directly to their copy. If our
link to a Sun article does not work,
you may need to register
with them* to obtain a user name and password.
1996 Print Articles
Latest articles first.
Conspiracy Mania Feeds Our Growing National Paranoia, an overview of
popular conspiracy legends, mentioning Area 51 and the Janet flights.
of Lost Gold Seekers: Backpackers OK'd to pass through Area 51."
A non-story beomes front page news when the Las Vegas Sun
printed a nonsense article on its front page, which it soon retracted.
Article on Rachel in CNN Travel News. Drivel.
Court overturns Area 51 ruling. Feds won't be allowed to interview
Las Vegas Sun.
- 10/18/96: "Strange Universe" (Syndicated TV show) airs
segment on Rachel feud between Campbell and Travises.
Judge OKs questioning of ex-base workers
Las Vegas Review-Journal
TOP SECRET: U.S. holding Nazi war criminals
in secret Area 51 in Nevada -- as slave scientists to build weapons!
Weekly World News.
A recent DOE symposium on Nuclear Secrets* is reported in the
Makes passing mention of Area 51.
Workers Appeal Area 51 Ruling* reports the Las Vegas Sun.
- 8/28: Las Vegas Review-Journal: "Appeal
Expected on Groom Lake", indicates that the appeal of the Area
51 hazardous waste lawsuit was probably filed in San Francisco.
Former workers at the Air Force Groom Lake base today will appeal
the dismissal of a federal
lawsuit claiming they were made ill and injured by environmental crimes
at the installation.
- 8/28: Las Vegas Sun: "Feds
Want Taxes From Counties"*. The Federal government has sued to
obtain taxes previously collected by three Nevada counties against
private contractors on military bases. Although the suit does not
involve Lincoln County, the outcome could affect whether local property
taxes can be collected from Groom Lake contractors. [If you can't
access this article, see note above.]
- 8/9: Las Vegas Sun,
"Contractors say they're unaware of Area 51 probe"*. Three military
contractors say they
have no knowledge of a federal investigation into environmental crimes
allegedly committed at a
classified military base in Southern Nevada.
- 8/8: News article, Las Vegas Sun, "Feds
investigating burning of hazardous waste at Area 51."
- 8/8: News article, Las Vegas Review-Journal,
"U.S. Investigation into Air Force Base Winds
News article, London Observer,
Nightmare in Dreamland. Hack Journalism from Britain. See
how many errors you can find.
- 8/1: Politically Incorrect. Former astronaut
Buzz Aldrin defends need for secrecy at Area 51. [ Report
- 8/96: Magazine article, Skeptical
Inquirer,* "Travels on the
Extraterrestrial Highway". Report on E.T. Highway.
Opinion, Las Vegas Review-Journal, "Conning
the tourists", by Glenn Campbell.
- 7/23: Advertizement, Las Vegas Review-Journal,
page 2D. "The Extraterrestrial Highway."
- 7/18: News Transcript, KLAS-TV
Broadcast. Report on relase of documents pertaining to waste
- 7/17: Las Vegas Sun, "Judge releases Groom Lake files." Fed
documents used in lawsuit made public. By Mary Manning.
- 7/14: The Observer, "Nightmare
In Dreamland." A lawyer is threatened with jail as the US
government claims the right to
hide its crimes at a secret Air Base, reports Ed Vulliamy.
- 7/14: Usenet Post, "Small Forest
Fire Near Area 51," by Glenn Campbell. Report on fire seen
within Groom restricted area.
- 7/5: Newspaper Article, Las Vegas Sun, "Tourism Panel Unveils E.T. Highway Member Kit."
List of attractions available to travelers.
- 7/4: News Transcript, KLAS-TV 5:00
PM Broadcast. George Knapp criticizes Newsweek and Glenn
Campbell for ET Highway/ID4 position.
- 7/2: KTNV-Ch. 13, Las Vegas, 6pm news. Story on ID4 with
sound bites by Glenn Campbell.
- 7/96: Nevada Magazine, "The Road Out There. Visitors keep their eyes
on the skies while traveling the ET Highway." By Carolyn Graham.
- 7/96: Magazine Article, New Dawn, "Ufos,
Area 51 & The New World Order: An Interview With Ufo Researcher
- 6/6: Magazine Article, Las Vegas New Times:
"True Believers: Vegas UFO watchers are
everywhere, but where are the aliens?" Story by Anne Hosier. Profile
of UFO Groups in Las Vegas.
- 6/5: Cartoon, Las Vegas Review-Journal, "Nevada Test Site Enters
Space Age". (52 k jpg)
- 5/26: San Francisco Examiner, "UFO gimmick polarizes Nevada town:
Extraterrestrial Highway brings tourists - some locals make money, some
regret changes." By Gordon Dillow.
- 5/17: Las Vegas Sun, "Air Force Anti-Nuke Dump, Too: Concern focuses
on routes going through off-limits areas", by Mary Manning. The Air
Force says the proposal to ship high-level nuclear waste to Southern
Nevada poses a national security threat to pilot training.
- 5/6: Air Force Times, "Back Talk: Don't Renew Those Ufo Hunts",
by Robert F. Dorr.
- 4/19: Las Vegas Review Journal, "Hollywood invades the E.T. Highway: State officials,
movie stars and directors help dedicate a stretch of road with an
alien-themed title", by Shaun McKinnon. Report on E.T. Highway
- 4/28: Newspaper article, Orange County Register,
breeds alienation in windswept town," by Gordon Dillow. The
newly christened Extraterrestrial Highway is drawing otherworldly types,
unsettling Rachel, Nev.
- 4/19: Las Vegas Sun, "Rural
highway out of this world: Town of Rachel worries about latest
attraction", by Mary Manning. Report on reservations over E.T.
- 4/96: Popular Science, "Desert Blast!". Report on Lazar's fireworks
show by Stuart F. Brown.
- 3/22: Las Vegas Review Journal, "Miller, 'aliens' To Converge: Stars of a new
alien film will be on hand when the governor dedicates the
Extraterrestrial Highway." Report on upcoming unveiling of Alien
Highway signs in Rachel.
- 3/22: Unpublished. "Airport
Purchases Apartment Complex Near Janet Terminal: Future of Research
Center Annex Unclear", by Glenn Campbell. Clark County purchases
Oasis Apartment Complex, future of A51RC Las Vegas annex unclear.
- 3/21: Las Vegas Sun, "When
an unclassified document is stamped 'top secret'." By Richard
Vuernick. [Local copy.]
- 3/20: AP Wire, "Nevada's New
"Extraterrestrial Highway" Gets Hollywood-Style Launch With 20th Century
Fox's "Independence Day; Gov. Miller, Film's Stars To Attend
Unveiling And Dedication Ceremony"
- 3/9: New York Times, "Quiet Nevada Town On E.T. Road Banking On Ufo
- 3/8: Las Vegas Sun, "Area 51 Highway Serious Business: Resident
fears road's more mundane dangers". Glenn Campbell voices concerns
over Alien Highway designation.
- 3/7: Las Vegas Sun, "Judge Throws Out Groom Lake Suit: Workers' case
called threat to security", by Rachael Levy. A Las Vegas federal
judge tossed out a lawsuit brought by former workers at a secret Nevada
military base where illegal toxic-waste burning is alleged to have
- 3/6: Campbell's Report on
Alien Highway, describing dangers to tourists. (66k)
- 3/4: Electronic Engineering Times, "For The Next
Generation, It's The 'X-Files", by Larry Lange.
- 3/96: Aviation History, "Stealth Secrets Of The F-117
Nighthawk: It's developement was kept under wraps for 14 years, but
by 1991, the F-117 nighthawk had become a household word." By Don
Holloway. Numerous mentions of Groom's role in developement of
- 2/20: Las Vegas Review Journal, "Aliens given own road: State Route 375 renamed
the Extraterrestrial Highway".
- 2/17: Las Vegas Review Journal, "Unions Win Representation Elections For Workers At
Groom Lake". Company holding a top-secret Defense Department
contract cuts deals with three unions allowing elections.
- 2/16, NYT, Helsingin Sanoma (the weekly
supplement to Finland's largest newspaper, in Helsinki), "Tukikohta X" ("Base X"), by Sami
Soininen. A lengthy original report on Area 51, in Finnish.
- 2/8: Wall Street Journal, "A Secret Air Base Hazardous Waste Act, Workers'
Suit Alleges: U.S. Cites National Security In Fighting Claims Tied
to Toxic Disposal Fires". Report on Groom Hazardous Waste
- 2/6: Press release, "U.S. Department of Energy
Issues Draft Environmental Impact Statement on Nevada Test Site."
- 2/5: Aviation Week, "Groom Lake Tests Target Stealth", pages
- 2/5: Aviation Week, "Pilots To Leave Cockpit In Future Air Force",
- 2/2: Las Vegas Review-Journal, Rural road may help E.T. find home: A new
designation for Highway 375 Is no longer an alien concept to the state
Transportation Board." Nevada Transportation Board renames Highway
375 despite descision of state legislature.
- 2/96: Nevada Magazine, "The Big Chill". Brief mention of Groom
Lake during 1937 storm, page 16.
- 1/31: Determination Exempting USAF
from Conservation Laws. (Original
exemption order, 9/29/95.)
- 1/28: Las Vegas Review-Journal, "Defense Secretary Foresees Continuing Role For
Nellis: William Perry talks about U.S. troops in Bosnia and Groom
Lake safety during a stopover in Las Vegas."
- 1/23: Las Vegas Review-Journal, "Television Station Loses Bid to Have Material Opened
Up". Short article reports the KLAS-TV motion in toxic suit
- 1/23: Las Vegas Sun, "Judge Shuts Door On Area 51 Action: TV station's
request for secret data denied."
- 1/13: Las Vegas Review-Journal, "Groom Lake Secrets Tougher To Keep: Judge Rejects
Government Argument To Ease Conditions For Secrecy".
1996 Television Shows & Segments
- 3/17: 60 Minutes. "Area 51: Catch 22." Producer, Richard Bonin,
correpondent, Leslie Stahl. Report on lawsuit against Air
- 2/26: "Spies in the Sky". PBS's "The American Experience".
Documentary on the developement and history of the U2 spy plane.
Numerous mentions of Groom Lake. [Review]
- 2/5: KLAS report on Hangar 18.
||Past events, earliest first. Dates are in form Year.Month.Day |
This page has been frozen.
New links are not allowed and broken links will not be repaired
+indicates documents stored on this server.
This page has been frozen.
New comments are not allowed.
Original Text Copyrighted © 1994-99
PO Box 30303, Las Vegas, NV 89173
Note: The above page has been frozen as of Jan. 1, 2000.
It is retained only for archive purposes. Broken links will not be repaired and
some information may be out of date.
The former webmaster, Glenn Campbell, is still active at
or @BadDalaiLama on Twitter